Hertlein & Schlatter Building
The Hertlein & Schlatter Building, which was built in 1887 with additions in 1892 and 1911, originally functioned as a silk trimmings factory, manufacturing components of ready-to-wear clothes. Over the years, the building fell into disrepair.
Higgins Quasebarth & Partners served as historic preservation consultants to Brook Avenue Gardens for the rehabilitation of the Hertlein & Schlatter Building and its conversion to affordable housing. HQ conducted extensive historical research on the Hertlein & Schlatter Building to qualify it for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. Working with the Urban Architectural Initiative, HQ provided rehabilitation consultation to ensure that all work would meet federal preservation standards, qualifying the project to receive historic preservation tax credits. The Hertlein & Schlatter Building project received the 2000 Lucy G. Moses Preservation Award from the New York Landmarks Conservancy.