The Brown Building was designed by John Woolley and completed in 1901. This neo-Renaissance loft building was the site of the infamous 1911 Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire in which 146 workers perished, spurring the labor reform movement. It is a National Historic Landmark and an individual New York City landmark. Today, it is used by New York University for their Departments of Chemistry and Biology.
HQ served as historic preservation consultants to New York University. HQ compiled a historic background report which included an existing conditions survey of the building. HQ also worked with NYU to create a master plan for mechanical rooftop additions which was approved by the Landmarks Preservation Commission.